Skip Navigation

Bow, New Hampshire

This table is used for column layout.
  • For Residents
  • For Businesses
  • For Visitors
Town Resources
Forms & ApplicationsBids & RFPsCode of the Town of BowTown CalendarsTown Reports & Documents Quick Links
HomeVoting & ElectionsParks & RecreationPublic Safety Building ProjectBaker Free LibraryBow SchoolsJob OpeningsSend Us Comments

Establishing a Business in Bow
Where to Start:
To develop a business in the Town of Bow, begin by contacting the Director of Community Development, Matt Taylor. The Director can help determine which, if any, permits and approvals you will need and can direct you to the persons you need to contact. You can also obtain information on specific properties and property managers from the Community Development Department.

Existing Buildings:
If you are moving into an existing building, you need to contact [Link]Building Inspector/Code Enforcement Officer, Scott LaCroix, and Fire Chief Dana Abbott to arrange inspections and to file materials reports. You may need a site plan review if the land use is different from the previous occupant of the building. Please also contact the Acting Police Chief, Scott Hayes, to discuss security and patrol issues. Emergency Management Director Lee Kimball will help you file hazardous materials reports.

New Buildings or Additions:
If you are constructing a new building or an addition, site plan review is required. Conditional Use Permits for wetlands and aquifer protection are often required. Contact the Community Development Director for requirements and further information. If your property fronts on a State highway, you will need a driveway permit. Contact the NH Department of Transportation (NHDOT) District Engineer for permit requirements. Following the site plan review process a building permit will also be required. Contact the Building Inspector/Code Enforcement Officer for permit requirements.

Land Subdivision:
In some cases a subdivision may be required. Contact the Community Development Director for requirements and further information.

Road/Street Related Requirements:
The Community Development Director will direct you to the persons responsible for reviewing and issuing road related permits. The regulation of access to, development of, and use of Town roads is shared by the Board of Selectmen, Planning Board, Building Inspector, and Public Works Director. State and Federal highways are controlled though the office of the New Hampshire Department of Transportation (NHDOT) District Five Engineer. Town permits are typically issued as a part of a site plan review, subdivision approval, or building permit and generally do not add any time to the process. NHDOT permits are issued after a separate, parallel process which may take two or more months to complete.

Wetlands and Surface Waters:
The State of New Hampshire, through its Department of Environmental Services (NHDES) regulates activities associated with wetlands, erosion, and sedimentation of surface waters. Activities which are within a wetland or adjacent to a prime wetland, which include onsite disposal of sewage, which disturb at least 100,000 square feet of surface area, or which are within 250' of a pond or fourth order stream may require a permit from the NHDES. Contact the permits bureau for rules, application forms, and requirements. In general, NHDES will not proceed with a permit application until Town permits are conditionally approved. The NHDES review process may take two or more additional months to complete.

Bow, New Hampshire
TOWN OF BOW    10 GRANDVIEW ROAD    BOW, NH 03304    PH: 603-228-1187    FAX: 603-224-6680